Skip to main content

Uther

Hi,

I finished spinning using a "batt" for the first time, as opposed to combed top or roving. It spun up fluffier, as many resources mentioned it would. I ordered Uther from The Loopy Ewe, and it looked very gold and luxurious in the picture on-line. I was unable to capture an image that was as complimentary, and it seems to look a bit mustardy in my pictures.

It is an interesting mix. It makes me want to card my own fibers. I asked my husband for carders for Christmas. Here are the strips, ready to spin.


I pulled the batt into strips, lengthwise, and I ran them through a dizz (a piece of wood with a hole in it, sanded smooth so as not to snag). The dizz step was recommended in a forum on Ravelry, and it really did seem to make a difference in taming the strips. In the picture below, you can see the "un-dizzed" side on the right.


I had two 3-oz packs, and it spun up to about 155 yards. It is dyed/carded by The Sanguine Gryphon. I have another of the colors, Niniane, also, mixed with similar colors, but mostly pink instead of mostly yellow. I have six packs of that one, though! :)

Knittyspin has some very interesting articles on carding to blend color or to make a layered batt.

Happy Knitting!
Lisa Kay

Comments