Skip to main content

Spring Waistcoat and Socks

I really enjoy my knit vests, even though they are all store-bought. They are extremely fine gauge, and thin, and I like to wear them over dress shirts with the tails out. I decided to make my own variation, and I used some fancy cable patterns from a Japanese stitch pattern book that I found at Knit One, Weave Too in Edwardsville. I really like the result. :)

The yarn is Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light in the color "Creme de Menth." It took just under 2.5 skeins on US size 3 (3.25 mm) needles. Ravelry page here.


waistcoat front

waistcoat back

waistcoat closeup

I also fiddled around with a sock, and I do mean *fiddled*, including a "gusset in the front" in a style I've seen, such as here. The whole sock turned out a bit snug. I think this may be more due to the thin, un-stretchy yarn than the front gusset, but I think the gusset feels tight. In any case, I don't think I'll make a second sock like this. I have just over a skein left, and I think I'll make a pair of socks in a plainer design... perhaps just the seed stitch cables and no flowers/bobbles... and a regular gusset.

waistcoat matching sock front

waistcoat matching sock side

waistcoat matching sock back

Happy Knitting,
Lisa Kay

Comments