Skip to main content

Sweater Spin Along

Southern Cross Fibre's forum group on Ravelry is having an "SCF and Friends" sweater spin along, knit along. While I have a couple of different "sweater lots" of SCF fiber, I decided to mix a set of batts from a group of SCF fiber, inspired by David's Rhinebeck Sweater.

SCF -SAL - Bags

I separated each of the rovings into "single color" piles and drum carded them to mix them evenly. Of the nine bags above, I used all of them 100% except Uluru. In that case (the brown/orange bags second from the left), I separated out the most-orange four ounces and set it aside for some later project. In total, I'm working with two pounds of fiber.

Eight ounces of BFL in the colorway, "Florid."
SCF - BFL - Florid - Carded

Eight ounces of BFL in the colorway, "Wave Rock."
SCF - BFL - Wave Rock- Carded

Four ounces of BFL in the colorway, "Bushranger."
SCF - BFL - Bushranger- Carded

Four ounces of Falkland in the colorway, "Katoomba."
SCF - Falkland - Katoomba - Carded

Four ounces of Falkland in the colorway, "Dirt."
SCF - Falkland - Dirt- Carded

Four ounces of Falkland in the colorway, "Uluru."
SCF - Falkland - Uluru- Carded

And here is a group shot of all the individual colors. The colors along the bottom will go into a red yarn, and the colors along the top will go into a blue yarn.
SCF -SAL - Batts

I split the "red" set of batts into 16 piles of each color, and carded 16 one-ounce mixed-color batts. Then, I rolled the batts into rolags for spinning.
SCF -SAL - Making Rolags

Here is half of the red rolags, one half pound of fiber.
SCF -SAL - Rolags

Here is the first four ounces of the red rolags, spun into singles.
SCF SAL - bobbin 1 red

Below is a ply-back of the single (on the bottom), with a piece of Rowan Colourspun. The Colourspun is the yarn used in Elina. If I like how my Elina sweater turns out (made in Colourspun, in the recommended colors), I may make another one as my "SCF and Friends" SAL sweater.
SCF SAL - loopback

Here is the Ravelry link to my SAL project.

Happy Knitting,
Lisa Kay

Comments

Julianna said…
Wow! It's amazing to see the planning/organizing stages of this process. I can't wait to see more updates. The colours look gorgeous!