Skip to main content

Christmas Quilts: Cattle Crossing

I gifted six quilts this Christmas. The first one was based on a pattern called, "Cattle Crossing," by Myrna Giesbrecht. It was in a booklet called, "Strip Quilts in a Hurry," that I purchased back in the last century. (Really. Doesn't that sound funny? It was published in 1994.) "Cattle Crossing" is the cover quilt on the booklet. It used a lot of white for contrast, which I replaced with green, but I used the same cow fabric as the original. (It is likely not available any more. I've had it as long as I've had the booklet!) It was originally a wall hanging, (49" x 57"), but I sized it up for a queen sized bed. After seeing it made up, I understand the wisdom of using white fabric for alternating squares, providing more contrast.

Cow quilt

I got a little carried away with appliqueing the cows coming out of the blocks... They are fused down and then edged with mono-filament thread.

Cow quilt - cows

It was quilted by Aubry Dunn in Edwardsville. The cows have echo outlining and then the rest is filled in with a wave pattern. I picked a yellow thread to complement the sunflowers. Aubry recommended Susie's Magical Binding, advice that I took and found both quick and cute. It uses a two-fabric, machine-sewn binding that ends up looking like it has a little piping inside the front edge of the binding. I picked plain yellow fabric for the "piping" part of the binding.

Cow quilt - tag2

This quilt was gifted to Chris' parents.

Happy Knitting,
Lisa Kay

Comments