Skip to main content

Abstracts in April

How much of a difference does wet-blocking make? 

I took "before blocking" and "after blocking" shots of the finished Abstracts in April, 4/21 Skill Builders Club. The "before blocking" case had some squirrelly places that would not lie flat, however coaxed. The "after blocking" still was not perfectly flat, but showed a marked improvement. 

After Blocking:



Before Blocking (I coaxed these as flat as possible; trouble spots are more obvious on the back):


I was worried that I wouldn't like the the "traditional" look of the washed quilting, for the modern style of this quilt, but I ended up liking it. I think I'm going to be a blocking fan. Maybe it is my knitting background. I wet-blocked everything except maybe an occasional pair of socks. 

Here are a few close-ups of the blocked quilt:




I am not sure how I'll manage blocking a king size quilt. In the past, I've taken pictures of king-sized quilts laid out in the living room, with the loveseat moved back, but that is only for a few minutes at a time, not overnight. I mentioned this to Chris, and he said, "Maybe Mitchell and I should just move out." Sigh. Clearly, I'm going to have to transition to a "studio" at some point... or we'll have to move to a custom-built studio-house. A girl can dream! :)

Happy Quilting,

Lisa Kay


Comments