Saturday, January 31, 2009
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
A conversation at dinner last night, watching "The Incredibles" on TV:
Daddy: If you were a super hero, what would your name be?
Mitchell: Frog Business.
Daddy: Frog Business? Where did you come up with that one?
Mitchell: I came up with it in the East.
Editor's note: I guess the sun isn't the only thing that comes up in the East.
Monday, January 19, 2009
Last week, his word was, "Mysterious." We were looking at a Berenstain Bears book that had little doors in it. I said, "What's behind this door?" He said, "I don't know. It's mysterious." He used it several other times last week, too (correctly, I might add). Today, he said something was, "Magnificent." He's also using adverbs correctly, which is strange (ahem,... mysterious), because most adults don't use adverbs, correctly. He said to Daddy, last night, "You can do it easily." (Is there supposed to be a comma in that sentence? I'll have to ask my son.)
Saturday, January 17, 2009
I now have my contrasting yarn for the Tomten Jacket borders. It is Elsebeth Lavold's "Silky Flamme'." (50% Wool, 30% Alpaca, 20% Silk). I think it is a very good match for my homespun Dragon Fruit. Here's a picture of the two together. I did a swatch with the black, and the size 9 (what I used for the pink) is a quite a bit larger (4.5" instead of 4"), and the 8 is just a tiny bit tight.
I made a test swatch, adding a border with mitered corners. It wasn't as wide as the actual borders, but it gave me an idea of what to do. I made the first attempt at the border using size 8 needles and a "lifted increase" (knitted into the stitch below the working row). However, it was too tight, and the corners too rounded. The "lifted increase" is supposed to be tighter and therefore more invisible, than other increases. On my second attempt, I knitted on 9's and purled on 8's. I also used EZ's "original" M1, per "The Opinionated Knitter," which is just a backward loop (like Sally Melville's "e-wrap" cast on) instead of a lifted increase or modern M1. (By "modern M1," I mean knitting into the yarn between the stitches on the previous row.) It is still a bit "rounded" on the corners, but much better than before, so this is what I plan to use.
I am going to start my pick-ups on the bottom at the "side seam" location (even though there isn't a side seam), and go all the way around the bottom, fronts, and collar. Every other row will be purl, because it will be garter stitch knitted in the round instead of flat. Mitered corner increases will be only on knit rows, starting with the third row. I'll need twelve ridges to get to size.
Sunday, January 11, 2009
I looked carefully at Jared Flood's (Brooklyn Tweed) instructions for the adult version, and I do plan to incorporate some, but not all, changes. I didn't decrease for the front neck, because I'm only going to have a little over two inches of pink up the front in the first place, because of the wide band. I'm planning to do four-stitch shoulder seams, and I'll put some short rows in the sleeve cap. Based on the short rows in the back, it makes the yarn switch really obvious (I'm alternating rows, due to it being homespun, hand-painted roving), so I don't want to do more than two short-row turns per ridge in the shoulders.
Friday, January 2, 2009
I had six skeins, of varying sizes. I tended to get about 120 niddy-noddy wraps (5.3 ft) per bobbin, when filled as full as I could get it.