Skip to main content

Handspun Huxley

Jared Flood of "Brooklyn Tweed" blog, knit design, and photography fame has been releasing some beautiful pattern collections, and I selected one of his simple vests for a quick project. "Huxley" is written as a simple Fair Isle project, with a traditional all-over "lice" (dots) pattern. Since I wanted a vest out of some of my hand-painted handspun yarn, I decided to forgo the lice. I just used the pattern for its shaping. I do like the dotted pattern, and I have every intention to make a vest just like the pattern, eventually.

The handspun in question is a yarn I made in mid-2011 which I called, "Jungle Sailing" from the two colors of fiber that I combined in the yarn. Since there was only eight ounces (two bumps) of fiber in this yarn, I had expected that I would need some coordinating trim, and I selected The Fibre Company "Acadia" in the color "Blue Heron" to go with it, since it seemed to be a pretty good match for the blues in the handspun.



I broke the handspun into alternating two-row colors to the extent that I could get the yarn to cooperate. It worked better in some areas than others. I did steek the front neck in order to carry the colors across the front shoulders, but the front and back are worked flat, separately.

Huxley

Huxley

And, yes, I did get my hair cut! I did not necessarily want to go to this short style for its own sake... I'm transitioning from colored hair to my natural salt-and-pepper, and I'm going through the "too grown out to hide the roots any more" phase right now.

Happy Knitting,
Lisa Kay

My Ravelry Huxley project page.

Comments