Skip to main content

Christmas Quilts: Nephews

As I was making the "Summer in the Park" quilts (previous post), I ordered more jelly rolls (and flat strip packs) to make two quilts for my nephews. For Dane's quilt, I chose red and blue. Those are the same colors I used in Dane's baby quilt.

Dane Materials

For Reese's quilt, I wasn't sure what colors I wanted to use, and I just looked for batik strips that appealed to me and didn't seem girly. I ended up with earthy colors. I hope it isn't too dark.

Reese Materials

When it came time to make them, I decided to do something different than Summer in the Park. Dane's quilt uses a simple checkboard which is simple to assemble by sewing four 2.5" strips together lengthwise and then cutting them crosswise 2.5" apart and flipping every other unit before sewing them back together. I kept the sewn blocks in units of four and then alternated the types of blocks for a checkerboard within a checkerboard.

Dane

The second quilt I decided to make into a log cabin. I had enough left over pieces to do a checkerboard border and end up without about the same size as the first quilt.

Reese

Mary Ellen Moeser quilted both quilts in a swirl pattern. Mary Ellen can be found at Jackman's Fabrics in O'Fallon, IL.

Dane - tag

Reese - Tag

I hope the boys like their quilts.

Happy Knitting,
Lisa Kay

Comments