Sunday, May 31, 2009
I finished the second sock from the Van Dyke pattern, and I'm ready to start the KAL tomorrow morning. Yea!
Pattern: Van Dyke from "Socks From The Toe Up," by Wendy Johnson
Modified to add extra rows, due to gauge
Yarn: Crystal Palace, Panda Cotton, Color: "Ketchup"
Needles: Size 1.5
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Just when I got re-interested in socks, I really got hooked. The Wendy Johnson book I was talking about a couple posts back, "Socks From the Toe Up," has a Knit Along (KAL) on Ravelry. They're doing one sock from the book and one Wendy Johnson pattern previously published, each month, for 23 months! (There are 23 patterns in the book, and they specify the pattern every month.) Oh, man. That's 46 socks! They have prizes and everything! I guess I'd better finish the pair I'm doing. The first month starts June 1. (I'm traveling that day, so I'll get some extra knitting time on the plane. Golden!)
Interestingly, the Cookie A book has a KAL in the same format going on. You can find it on Ravelry, too. I couldn't possibly do two of her socks every month. They're much harder! (Well, I really like the Monkey pattern, but most of the others look wicked hard, especially the new book.)
Monday, May 25, 2009
Mitchell runs himself ragged the entire time, darting from one thing to another. He's getting really good at climbing all the gear.
I finished the second sock in pair #7, the Diagonal Lace pattern from "Socks From The Toe Up." (See previous post for book info.) I used size 2 needles, which gives a bit of positive ease. I'm going to use 1.5 on the next pair. (Same yarn, same number of stitches, namely, Crystal Palace Panda Cotton, 66 sts.)
I really like the toe up construction, and the toe looks wonderful. Yea!
Here's a peak at sock #8... I'm using the "Vandyke" pattern from "Socks From The Toe Up," but I increased the number of stitches in the pattern because the pattern is written for sport weight (which this isn't). You can see a tutorial on how to change the chart width for a similar pattern, here. It is Crystal Palace Panda Cotton, again. I picked up a few more colors of cotton, with summer in mind.
Sunday, May 24, 2009
I've been dabbling in different projects, lately. I've been doing a bit of quilting, for one thing. More on that in a later post.
I started a Bobble Cardigan from Jane Ellison's "Knitting Noro" book. I used Silk Garden Chunky in a pink/purple combination (with many other colors, too). It came out a bit darker looking than I expected, mainly because of the black segments. I may try again in another color-way. I really like the bobbles, but I am not thrilled with the overall look of this yarn. I finished the fronts and back (not blocked).
Before moving on to the sleeves of the Bobble Cardigan, I got distracted by finding Wendy Johnson's book, "Socks From the Toe Up," (of "Wendy Knits" blogging acclaim) at the local bookstore.
I was so intrigued that I had to start a sock, and now I am off finishing up my second sock. I like the toe up method. I used "Judy's Magic Cast On," which Wendy says in her book is the one she always uses, and which really does seem to work like magic. Love it!
I like the patterns in the book, especially the sport/worsted weight versions, for some reason. Wendy's book is written at just the right level for me. (Simple.) I also purchased Cookie A.'s book, "Sock Innovation." I have paged through it, and I am learning a lot from the technical sections, such as "common charting mistakes." The patterns, however, I find very daunting. I prefer a simple pattern repeat I can memorize. Okay, call me lazy, but I knit to relax!
The sock yarn is Crystal Palace Panda Cotton. It was in my gift bag from The Loopy Ewe when I became a "Loopy Groupie" (after six orders). That was a long time ago! My return to sock knitting after about a year's hiatus also has me also sock yarn shopping, too. Of course, I already have enough sock yarn stash to knit for the rest of my life... but still...
I've also been spinning, of course. My lastest is Sanguine Gryphon's "Recalcitrant." I have seven braids, and I am almost done with the third braid. There is a picture of the roving and one bobbin full of singles, below. I'm planning to ply two singles together, as I usually do.
The brown in the roving really seems to produce some orange tones. I started with the darkest of the braids, and I'll ply it with the lightest, so it should look a little pinker than this when it is all done.Happy Knitting and Spinning!
Friday, May 22, 2009
I finished spinning another colorway of Gale's Art, Ruby Swirl, a couple of weeks ago. I have two skeins of the purple, which coordinates with the Peacock plied yarn I had made already. I think it would look lovely in something striped, such as perhaps this. Perhaps it would need to be slightly more feminine, though. Maybe a scooped neck? The colors would help, obviously.
I'm not sure I'm brave enough for steeking, yet, though.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Not far from where we live, the Cahokia Mounds provide an interesting historic site for visiting (and exercising).
Mitchell ran for the base of the mound. This picture is looking more or less West, heading toward the base of the first terrace.
This picture is taken looking up at the two terraces, from east of the base of the mound.
Here are the guys after climbing up the first terrace, looking at the main part of the mound.
Looking West from the mound, there is a great view of the St. Louis sky line. It was a bit hazy that day, but scenic. Everything is deep green from lots of spring rain.